How to install roof trusses by yourself – A Roof Truss is a tectonic framework of some type of dedicated support material that can perfectly traverse the free space above a room. Trusses are made up of diverse even members that can be made of wood or metal, and then arranged into triangular shapes.
At an earlier time, roof trusses were installed by builders only with the help of their specialized equipment and well trained experts.
But with latest techniques, now it is easier to install them by hand using simple procedures. If you love roof trusses for a house or a garage, surely you might be searching for an answer to your only question of how to install roof trusses by yourself?
Truss installation is a tricky process, but if you know the right procedure it can be done fabulously; the most important thing to note about trusses before you start installation is their strengths and weaknesses so that you can add extra care to that part during the process.
The strength of a Truss typically lies in its point of vertical pressure instead of horizontal pressure. This clearly means that you must avoid handling them from the top or bottom portion.
For homes with more than one story it becomes a little difficult to work without a crane to avoid damage, but if you don’t have this option with you it is good to use levered ropes to take trusses to the top floor without any harm.
Before finding an answer to your valuable question of how to install roof trusses step by step, let us take a review of some Tips for installation:
- Trusses are available in different shapes as well as sizes, so first of all it is important to choose the suitable one for your project.
- If enough offset area is available on your roof, it is good to install perpendicular sets of two trusses adjacent to each other. Once they are set, the inner trusses will work as a ledge for you so that you can sit on them during installation.
- Your major goal must be to place every truss at a two feet distance from the centre and prior to this you have to create the top plate of the roof.
- It is important to place a block space of two inches at top where the inner wall and top plate can be joined.
- Reference marks must be placed properly at a distance of every two feet at the edge of the top plate. This marks the aligning location of other truss edges and you must use effective marking symbols so that they cannot confuse you during installation.
Now you have a basic idea of the Roof Truss Installation process, so it is a good time to switch tothe roof truss installation guide. Let us go ahead with this part:
- Designing a roof truss: Once you have decided on the type of material for your truss formation, it is time to design it according to the size of your roof. Generally, engineered plywood does not come in the proper size, so you need to cut it according to your own measurements. For this you need to do some paperwork regarding complete measurements.
- Saw the Truss: After designing your layout plan, you have to saw every member into the perfect shape and length. It is good to angle each cut so that it can be easily fixed with another member.
- Arrange trusses: Now you have prepared all of the web and chord members according to the required size, so lay them on free ground in the shape of a truss, making sure that all connections fit properly at the desired places. It is good to saw the additional portions if there are any pieces left.
- Secure the joints: When you are installing roof trusses by hand it is important to use efficient tools for joining all of the members perfectly. If you do not have a crane for lifting, then all your work must be perfect prior to lifting the trusses to the top floor. Use metal gusset plates for joining truss joints, and be sure to glue them perfectly and nail each point gently without causing any harm to the strength of material.
- How to install trusses on a roof: After constructing your trusses, now you have to get them safely to the top portion for installation. Toe nail them with the top plate so that they stay secured from falling again and try to brace them using a proper blocking arrangement. Secure all of the joints perfectly and provide proper support to every edge with perfect nailing.
All these steps describe the step by step procedure for installation of simple trusses that are made up of wooden material. It is commonly used for house trusses as it adds more beauty and looks graceful for the long run.
If you are thinking about installing hip roof trusses at your house then you need to add some extra care.
Hip roof trusses are commonly used in areas of heavy rain because they prevent water from draining into a room because they have a fixed angle for pitch and slope downward at every point. You simply have to follow these instructions to initiate an easy process:
- Measure the accurate length of the ridge beam, and the common rafters, as well as hip rafters. Those which bridge between the wall’s top and roof’s top are called common rafters, whereas hip rafters are used between the joints of the meeting point of both roof faces.
- Common rafters must be measured according to the angle and pitch of the roof, then cut them into the perfect shape and be sure to have one of them at every 20-inch distance across the wall.
- Measure the jack rafter’s length, cut them perfectly and place one at every 20-inch distance across the wall.
- You should perfectly mark the spots over the wall top where all these rafters are to be installed.
- After placement of rafters at their dedicated areas, nail them perfectly; use extra supports if needed for safe installation.
- Now measure and cut the plywood sheathing so that all faces of the roof can be covered.
- It is important to leave some extra space at the bottom edges that freely hangs over the wall. It acts like a support and also provides a graceful look to the area.
- Nail the rafters and plywood material together to make the joint secure.
- To add more safety, you can use extra roofing material over it.
If you are wondering about how to install roof trusses without a crane, then hip roofing is the perfect choice because its parts can be easily lifted to another floor.
This type of roofing looks graceful for garden huts where you can relax with your friends during hot weather, as well as during rain or snow. This roofing technique is simple to install and one can do it easily at home without any experts, as well as not needing any specialized equipment.
The installation process only demands perfect marking strategy because complete roof placement is based upon it.
Within a few years’ metal roofing has been gaining great popularity due to its improved durability and beauty. It is available in various colours, styles and textures so that you can use one which best suits your construction. These trusses are cost effective and also act as energy saving elements so you can save more money while adding more beauty to your house.
HOW TO INSTALL STEEL ROOF TRUSSES
Prior to starting the installation process, it is important to finalize the best colour for your steel roof trusses that looks perfect for your house. These trusses can be easily installed to already constructed roofs as they are easy to install and can be lifted easily to another floor due to their very low weight.
If you are installing it over an old roof, then first of all be sure to repair any damages and remove faded old material.
Then, add an insulation layer over it above which steel trusses can be installed easily. First of all, you need to install the edge portions that are in the form of metal strips and cover the outer layer of a pyramid shaped roof. You have to use nails to secure their flashing and they will cover the complete edge portion of your roof exactly above the wall.
Now, it is time for the major part that requires great care; start with your first sheet and place it in such a manner that it overhangs up to ¾ inches at the edge.
Use washer head screws to secure all of the joints of steel trusses and keep a spacing of about 12 inches between screws. Install all the trusses in a similar manner with perfect nailing; use adhesives if required to add extra security.
When you have installed all of the trusses it is time to add flashing at every joint of the roof where two sections meet over the roof. You will need five flashings to cover all such joints; it adds more beauty, as well as safety to roof trusses.
Finally, you have finished your roof with a graceful, attractive and smooth touch, and now it is good to clean up the material and enjoy your new roof.
This installation guide brings the perfect answer to all your questions related to roof trusses installation. Now you can install your roof trusses yourself without any expert with cost effective techniques.
All you need to do is collect your raw material and start the process with this installation guide. Roof trusses are the best option for hill areas where people need to save their house from rain and snow fall, but due to their graceful appearance this trend is now also common in cities.
Last update on 2022-04-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Hi, I’m Jim. I was a roofing constructor for 20 years, before deciding to start myrooff.com and gather the best content about roofing. I love woodworking and construction and it was only natural for me to start this passion project of mine. Thank you for visitng.